By Mike Huckabee
"We desire a uncomplicated executive. do not get me unsuitable; i do know that a number of the nation's difficulties are hugely advanced. yet I additionally recognize that the governing ideas that may remedy them, if we interact, are simple."
Armed with little cash yet loads of good judgment, former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee shocked the state by means of coming in moment in the course of the 2008 Republican presidential primaries. He hooked up with hundreds of thousands of electorate by way of calling for a smaller, less complicated govt that may get out of ways while applicable. (Unfortunately, there were not really sufficient of these electorate to avoid the election of Barack Obama.)
due to the fact that then, President Obama's message has morphed from "hope and alter" to "tax and spend" and "borrow and spend" and "over-regulate and spend." The stimulus didn't cease the recession, the deficit exploded to unbelievable heights, and the Democrats jammed via Congress a monetary "reform" invoice that did not relatively reform whatever and a healthcare monstrosity that gave the govt. extra strength over our own lives than ever.
in the meantime, Huckabee has endured to be the voice of logic conservatism, via his tv speak express, his radio commentaries, and his lectures round the kingdom. Now he is written a publication that sums up the twelve issues we really want from Washington to get the rustic again on course.
those twelve crucial truths could have you nodding in contract, even if you are a Republican, an self sufficient, or maybe an open-minded Democrat. they could aid us set aside our transformations, tone down the partisan rancor, and go back to the easy rules of the Founding Fathers: liberty, justice, own freedom, and civic advantage. and so they might help us take on even the main probably advanced of brand new difficulties. for example:
* you cannot spend what you do not have; you cannot borrow what you cannot pay again. households, companies, cities, towns, and states all need to stability their budgets or face dire results. Why should not the government be held to an analogous typical? And if that suggests making a few not easy offerings now, it is a much better replacement than saddling our children and grandkids. * The extra you waft from shore, the much more likely you're to be misplaced at sea. The Founders anticipated the government to be subordinate to kingdom and native governments. How can politicians in DC comprehend find out how to aid farmers in Iowa, autoworkers in Michigan, or academics in California? they cannot. So each challenge will be solved on the such a lot neighborhood point in a position to fixing it.
* Bullies within the playground in basic terms comprehend one thing. there is a time and position for international relations, yet we won't guard the rustic simply by negotiating with our enemies. we'd like a powerful nationwide safety and a counterterrorism coverage that specializes in effectiveness, no longer political correctness.
* an important kind of executive is the family. ultimately, the single strategy to be sure prosperity, protection, and equivalent chance is to ensure we bring up our youngsters to be moral and effective electorate. No forms can exchange mom and dad in that crucial function, so we need to do every little thing attainable to assist mom and dad do their task.
an easy executive will encourage any American watching for a greater destiny.
Read or Download A Simple Government: Twelve Things We Really Need from Washington (and a Trillion That We Don't!) PDF
Similar conservatism & liberalism books
Hardbound. Reflecting the cultural range in severe idea, present views in Social idea offers paintings from quite a few theoretical traditions demonstrating the issues of sociological theorizing. quantity 21 echoes a present development through publishing articles that re-examine Marx, Althusser and Gramsci.
Tracing the transformation of liberal political ideology from the top of the Civil warfare to the early 20th century, Nancy Cohen bargains a brand new interpretation of the origins and personality of contemporary liberalism. She argues that the values and courses linked to glossy liberalism have been formulated now not in the course of the revolutionary period, as such a lot bills keep, yet previous, within the very diversified social context of the Gilded Age.
This e-book is from one of many wisest voices in American politics: a daring new examine America's conflicts in a foreign country because the finish of the chilly conflict - and on the demanding situations of the longer term. In her first e-book in additional than fifteen years, Jeane Kirkpatrick - Ronald Reagan's ambassador to the United international locations, and a legend in diplomacy - deals a daring and revisionist survey of 2 many years of yankee overseas coverage.
- Voice of Reason: Why the Left and Right Are Wrong
- British Liberalism and the United States: Political and Social Thought in the Late Victorian Age
- The Post-American Presidency: The Obama Administration's War on America
- Media and Left
- Egalitarianism as a Revolt Against Nature and Other Essays
- The intelligent woman's guide to conservatism
Extra info for A Simple Government: Twelve Things We Really Need from Washington (and a Trillion That We Don't!)
That being said, I have never been afraid to criticize a person when I think it’s appropriate, especially when it comes to those who run our country. I believe that every American has a right and a responsibility to speak up when they’re unhappy with the way our government is run, and that’s why I’m writing this book. Because as much as I respect President Obama as a human being, I can’t help but think that just about everything he thinks is good for America is actually bad for our present and worse for our future.
It’s a no-brainer: Local, state, and federal governments will thereby be able to reduce outlays on welfare, food stamps, house and energy assistance, health care, law enforcement, and—last, but not least—prisons. I see this goal as a win-win for ALL conservatives. Let the liberals continue to push for a redistribution of wealth, as President Obama clearly intends. But instead, we conservatives should call for a rededication to marriage and family, with all of the societal benefits that will definitely follow.
But when you get right down to it, it’s the form of government that matters most—much more than Congress, or your state legislature, or even your neighborhood block association. Get your family right, and its strength will wind its way up to the highest levels of global power. Of course, the reverse is also true: When the family fails, so do the other organizing structures around it. Why does a person commit a heinous crime—use a deadly weapon to rob someone, vandalize a school, rape a woman, murder a hapless victim for twenty dollars, or steal millions from investors (perhaps including friends and relatives) in a Ponzi scheme?